(the one where players keep a ball in the air)
In this warm-up, players keep a ball in the air by any means necessary. This is the ultimate Zen improv warm up.
- Have everyone around the circle sitting in chairs so it’s clear which spots are open.
- Players can’t go back to the spot that they just left.
- Share truths that people can’t tell just by looking at you. “Anyone who has brown hair” is less revealing than “Anyone who follows politics.”
- If the group is up for it, don’t be afraid to get a little bit spicy or risque.
- Give players a balloon (the weirder the shape the better) and tell them that the only rule is to not let it hit the ground. Let them have fun, and before it gets old, add a new rule. Maybe have them make a dumb, happy noise every time they hit the balloon. Then try alarmed noises (because some of them will already be doing that). Have them say their name in an energetic way (as if they’re super excited to have hit a balloon successfully). Give them a second balloon. Say that they can only hit it once in a row. Try making up new rules that seem fun.